6.11.2011

Spellbound || Cara Lynn Shultz

Book: Spellbound
Author: Cara Lynn Shultz
Pages: 384
Expected Publication: June 28th, 2011
Source: NetGalley
Rating: 4/5


(Review Contains Mild Spoilers) 

What can I say other than, Spellbound left me...spellbound! 

Summary: Emma Conner has endured much heartbreak in her 16 years of life. A dead twin brother, a dead mother, and a stepfather who almost kills her in a drunken car accident. When her wealthy aunt Christine welcomes her into her upper class New York home and sends her to the most "exclusive" private school, Emma wants nothing more than to remain anonymous. But her attempts to blend in are abruptly halted when she catches the eye of the school's hottest boy, Brendan Salinger. As they grow fonder, Emma can no longer ignore the medieval curse that plagues their romance. An inevitable love is conjured by the same force that will result only in death. Together, they must fight the ancient heartbreak destined for them centuries ago, for they are soulmates. 

Review: To begin with, I was slightly skeptical at the prospect of this book. For the first quarter, I wasn't sure what "Spellbound" had to do with an emotionally scarred teenage girl. However, when the history of Emma's charm necklace surfaced, all the pieces clicked into place. I wished that the author incorporated a bit more of the magical side in the beginning of the book, because the curses and witches element took me by surprise (I didn't read the summary of the book before starting it). Additionally, I wished that more of a back story had been revealed regarding Emma's mother and her history with witchcraft. But eventually, I grew comfortable with the presence of magic/curses/witches in a normal (if bit dramatic) high school setting, and became ensnared by the heated and sincere romance between Emma and Brendan. 

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Spellbound! It was romantic, fresh, and creative! The transition between normalcy and magic was a bit untimely, and some scenarios seemed just too convenient, but the characters all turned out to be endearing (except for Anthony and Kristin). There was a great balance in the story! Romance, adventure, and humor were all incorporated elegantly!


P.S. Brendan Salinger is my new literary crush!

5 comments:

  1. I just read Spellbound too and I loved it! Brendan is my new book crush too! I am going to leave before I start gushing about him.

    Great review.

    Here is my review: Spellbound

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading good things about this one from lots of bloggers. I just snagged this one from Netgalley and can't wait to dig in. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks interesting, and I really like the cover. This is the second review I've read of it and also the second to praise it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book has been getting a lot of buzz lately and it sounds like one I'd really like....and I'm always up for a new book boy crush....lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great review I wanto to read this book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete